Friday, November 30, 2007

Day 45: Ljubljana - Vienna


A pretty frustrating day; I'm in Vienna, and haven't formed any impression of it yet because all my time so far has been spent finding food and lodging.
Took a slow train route from Ljubljana to Vienna to make the most of my railpass, which doesn't cover Slovenia.
Yet more spectacular Alpine scenery.
Arrived in Vienna; couldn't figure out the subway; accidentally got on a tram; walked a long way and eventually found the hostel I'd booked. No-one there; I call the owner, she said my reservation was for yesterday, and she's given my bed to someone else.
Walked to another hostel, got a bed, set down my stuff nine hours after leaving Ljubljana.
Went looking for a supermarket; found one after much searching and bought stuff for the next two dinners. Back to the hostel - they don't have a kitchen. My groceries are useless. They have a restaurant which stops serving at 7. It's 7:15. Go looking for takeaway food, find nothing but McDonalds. What kind of a YHA doesn't have a kitchen?
Blegh. Vienna bloody well better be worth today.

No comments: