Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Day 40: Rimini - Venice


Today was largely a train day; from Rimini to Bologna to Venice. Pleasant scenery along the way, though Italy certainly has a high density - the whole route was never out of sight of a village.
Staying in Mestre, sometimes called "the modern city of Venice," meaning it's the rather dull, suburban mainland city serving Venice. After checking in at the hotel (cheaper than the hostel), I went straight to Venice, for a sneak preview of tomorrow, my designated Venice Day.
I think it's safe to say that there's nothing quite like Venice in the whole world. It's a gorgeous maze of colourful buildings, squares, canals and bridges, and it's a delight to lose yourself and find yourself in the midst of it. One especially striking thing is how quiet it is - the entire city is, after all, devoid of cars, motorbikes and trains. I just wandered today, avoiding the main sights for tomorrow. I can't wait.

No comments: