Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Day 19: Paris


It's a bitch getting around the Louvre, but it's absolutely worth it.
So I'm in Paris, the city I've always wanted to go to moreso than anywhere else. It's very complicated, everyone seems important, and every street is a revelation.
Began with a pastry breakfast in front of the Basilique Sacré Coeur, thinking to myself, "I am sitting in front of the Sacré Coeur, how cool ist that?" Wandered Montmartre, which is utterly charming and surprisingly quiet and tourist-free, mostly. Kept thinking of Amélie, but couldn't find Les Deux Moulins.
Next stop, Nôtre Dame, via the Hôtel de Ville. Nôtre Dame is spectacular, of course, but there was a service on, so I felt a little intrusive. Also, when it says no photos, it means NO PHOTOS, you buggers. Man, I can't stand it when tourists can't follow simple rules.
Finally, crossed the Pont Neuf, stopped at a Starbucks (my excuse - Parisian cafés don't do iced coffees) and went to the Louvre. The swarms go straight to the Mona Lisa, but for me, the most important piece is Hammurabi's Code - which no-one else was visiting. Also seen: the Venus de Milo, Raft of the Medusa, and Napoleon III's apartments. It's an astoundingly gorgeous place, what more can you say?

No comments: