Sunday, December 9, 2007

Day 58: London


Curiously, when you get the 5:30 wake-up call for breakfast on thie boat, you've already docked at Harwich, England. I suppose there's no point in getting off to just wait around for the first train of the day.
Spent the day in London before meeting Chris and going back to his place. Went to the British Museum again to finish off what we missed the first time - Africa, Asia and the Americas. I've decided that the best three museums in the world are the British (history), the Louvre (art), and the American of Natural History (natural history, naturally). So there. Spent ages reading books in Borders and two different Waterstones, then went to the National Gallery. Saw Sunflowers, Virgin on the Rocks and... that one on the Crash Test Dummies album.
I was thinking that I'm bound to be asked which city was my favourite, and I came to the conclusion that if someone put a gun to my head and made me choose, I would say London. The things I loved about each of the cities could be summed up in either their visuals - the monuments, parks, settings and such (Paris, Rome, Vienna, Venice, Luxembourg); or their liveliness, their people-atmosphere (Munich, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Marrakesh) - and basically, London combines the two better than anywhere else. That, of course, doesn't take into consideration things like food, nightlife and music, which I couldn't really experience. I'll be back for those when I've made my millions.

No comments: