Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Day 53: Zurich / Liechtenstein


My plan for my trip to Liechtenstein was that I didn't need to bring the LP or any information, since the bus would drop me off right at the tourist office. That plan would've worked if I had gotten off at the right bus stop. Instead, after entering Liechtenstein, I soon saw a castle, and thinking there was only one castle in Liechtenstein, figured this was Vaduz, the capital. I realised my mistake soon after the bus sped away, but I was in a pretty spot, and Vaduz had to be close. Two hours of walking later - half the length of the whole country - I actually arrived in Vaduz.
I'm glad I actually made that mistake, because the scenery on that walk was gobsmackingly beautiful, and central Vaduz isn't really anything special. The mountains on both sides of the Rhine Valley in which most of Liechtenstein sits soar very dramatically skywards; better still, they were capped with snow, running down to surprisingly low altitudes. Some of those peaks were over 2300m; Vaduz sits at a modest 400m, so that's pretty lofty view.
I climbed to the actual Vaduz castle, walked around Vaduz (doesn't take long!) and got back on the bus. Central Vaduz is mostly banks and souvenir shops, whilst the streets going up the mountainside are very nice, there really isn't much to see.
Got the train back to Zurich, and enjoyed yet more amazing scenery. The train follows the whole length of Lake Zurich, and with the snow-capped mountains and green pastures with bell-wearing cows - it's just perfect.

No comments: