Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Day 52: Zurich


Went to the Zurich Zoo today, mostly to see the famed Masoala Rainforest. It's a nice, modern zoo, and I can add trumpeters, trogons, Arabian oryx, geladas, prairie-dogs and Pallas's cat to my animal-list. The Masoala Rainforest is spectacular; it's a reconstruction of a rainforest in Madagascar, and it's huge, authentic-looking and very lush. So lush, actually, that you could very easily walk through without seeing anything. I managed several birds and one of the five kinds of lemur that live there.
Walked back into central Zurich, through the pretty old town. Turns out that Zurich is very hilly. Looked at a couple of churches. Walked along the lake, where I was a little too excited to see a couple of grebes. Walked back into the city and walked to the hostel, which isn't as far as I thought.
Zurich may not be bursting with must-see sights for tourists, but I bet it's a lovely place to live.

No comments: