Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Day 70: New York City - San Francisco

Today was a transit day. I subwayed from Queens to JFK, and found (once again) that while the New York subway is a wonderful thing, lugging all my stuff around it still isn't exactly ideal.
When I got to the airport, my flight to San Francisco had been delayed by about two hours. Turned out to be a good thing, 'cause it gave me plenty of time to make further travel arrangements. My original itinerary had 10 days in New Zealand, with a day-long stopover in Chile on the way. Now, due to a lack of funds and generally not feeling like another two weeks on the road by myself, I've cut out that leg of the trip, and am flying straight home from San Francisco. I always thought that buying tickets at the airport was just something they did on The Amazing Race, so it was neat to do it myself.
The flight from NYC to SF was generally terrible. It was six hours, so I figured they'd feed us. Nope - but there was "food for purchase," which was good enough for me. Unfortunately I was sitting in the very back row of the plane, and by the time the food cart reached me, there was nothing left. Can you imagine having a flight without enough food to go around? Crazy. Also the baggage carousel in SF Airport broke. Luckily Chris is an absolute darling and had a packed dinner/lunch ready for me on the ride home.
Didn't get to get any impression of San Francisco and surrounds yet - landed after 10pm, after all - but it is an absolutely gigantic metropolitan region. San Francisco's only a tiny part of it. Walnut Creek seems alright, much like the suburban satellite towns in Australia.

No comments: